As the year 2011 comes to a close we have witnessed a couple of things among which are terrible songs. The Nigerian music industry has grown and there are certain things we no longer expect. I think our Nigerian artist should shift their attention from show casing their sexiness on television and concern them selves more on show casing talent, intelligence and brilliance.
Here is my list of the ten worst songs that hit the airwaves in the year under review:
1) ARA by Brymo: correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t “ARA” supposed to mean “wonder, miracle or trick”? What did he mean when he started talking about the girl in red, buying drinks in the club, his older brother having tattoo and getting wings from red bull? If you would pay attention to the song you’ll find that it’s meaningless. He had a fantastic chorus a good video, nice beats but terrible lyrics. There was no connection between his verses and the chorus title.
2) Akpako master by TerryG: This meaningless crap is pure jargons, "na me be the akpako master, oya come run faster". Terrible lyrics. This brother is loved for his energy but as a song writer he doesn't fit.
3) Scooby doo by Hakym the dream: Scooby doo is a cartoon character for a dog. You should have referred to yourself as SHAGGY then we'll know you were talking about the relationship but face it, you called the girl you claim you'd do anything for a “DOG”. What’s worse than that?
4) Oliver twist by Dbanj: This talented brother in this song did not tell us that he wanted more of anything instead he told us how horny and flirtatious he can be. "I like Nicky cause her yansh is bigger" is a terrible message to send to your audience.
5) Ashawo by Flavour: I think he was horny when he wrote this song. Referring to a girl you like as a WHORE is not beautiful. It only shows us your state of mind.
6) Back when by Davido Feat Naeto C: This song was flat from the beginning to the end, I think he should study the word modulation and I don't think he is doing well in English class cause the lyrics went "all the girls dey wash me LIKE omo" it’s WITH. So for your next single before you bring us some teenage nonsense, please take my advice.
7) Follow Follow by LKT Feat P-Square: Please pay attention to your lyrics this is so lame "my baby girl you be my potato, my one and only tomato". "Anywhere you go I go follow follow you" you and I know that you are not a mindless maggot, you wont do that if it doesn’t suit you. So brother since you are not writing fiction please be more realistic next time.
8) Tinko Angel by Jaywon: What does this mean “tinko angel”? Did he spell the words that came immediately after it in the song?
9) Kontrol by W4 (Mr Wonda): Well as they say "come back is tough" but that doesn’t give anyone the right to feed us with a big nothing. Till tomorrow, I wonder what the idea behind this song is and that’s an attribute of a bad song because your audience is supposed to understand your message with ease.
10) Beri beri by dencia: The entire song was a compilation of nonsense. Sweet heart, work on your simile. “Like a motor car you wonna bash me, like an airplane you wonna crash me, like a naughty girl you wonna spank me”. This is the entire first verse with the first line missing.
Some of these songs are love songs a boy can’t even sing to a girl and they make you wonder “what in the world is this?” They have three things in common: great video, tolerable beats (instrumental) and terrible lyrics. Interestingly these songs top charts but that doesn’t change the fact that they made my list of worst songs, sincerely it was difficult not putting every single that was released in this year on this list.
PS: Your lyrical value and performance attitude go a long way in helping make a good song but it seems that good music has been overemphasized on good beats in order to make club bangers. Little wonder why a Nigerian is yet to pick up a grammy award.